Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 13 Blog

I thought I was feeling better, then BOOM sore throat comes back stronger. UGH
So, like, over the course of this lab, I'm pretty sure we're responsible for the death of little shrimp.  I feel kinda bad.  If there is a God, is this what (s)he feels like?  Okee, now we're getting a little too deep (I can't tell if I meant for that to be a pun about shrimp) for me, so let's get through this lab.
We filled petri dishes with water with a salinity of 0, .5, 1, 1.5, and 2%.  Next, we added between twenty and 40 eggs and let them sit for 24 hours for them to hatch! Oh, the miracle of life.  Well, not so much.  In the 0%, there was not even one brine shrimp, while in the other ones there were 2 in the .5%, 5 in the 1%, 13 in the 1.5%, and 21 in the 2%!  We rescued the little live shrimp and put them in a beaker with their friends to live out the rest of their (pitifully short) lives.  On day 2 (with our parents, which I'll discuss later) there were even less alive ones, with 0 in the 0% and 1%, 2 in the 2%, and 3 in the .5% and 1.5%.  I'm sure all these number don't mean that much to you, but basically they mean that brine shrimp have adapted to be more successful in different salinities of water, for us being the 2% after we calculated the viability of them.  Evolution helped these baby shrimp survive in their environments to the best they could and procreate.
Yay for the fragility of life and death!
Stay tuned for the parents' day awkward!

No comments:

Post a Comment