Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 11 Blog

Ugh I'm still sick...this stupid cold.
So for this class I got to embrace my inner daycare child and play with beads!  We got to make bead versions of DNA to compare our relationship to gorillas, chimpanzees, and our common ancestors.  Did you know that we share something like 98% of DNA with chimpanzees?! Yeah, me neither.  Our comparison of our beads showed that the gorilla was really closely related to the common ancestor, and not so much to the chimpanzee, who was pretty close to us.  DNA is a really interesting way to see what our evolutionary family is, in terms of who's that uncle we don't talk about and who's that third cousin twice removed that lives in the jungles and picks bugs off of his family (I'm talking to you gorillas!)
Anyways, this experiment was really cool and I really like DNA and beads (also snacktime, movies, and naps if we're going with the daycare thing)
Aloha! (it means hello AND goodbye! cool huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment