Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pedigree

I would like to start with my favorite pedigree:
Basically pedigrees are just a family tree with genetic information on them so that traits or diseases can be tracked and predicted.  There's a whole bunch of symbols that mean a lot of things (most referring to incest) and are kind of confusing, but for the most part pedigrees are pretty basic.  Look at the one above, it denotes people with hemophilia, people who are carriers, and family relations.  Pretty simple huh? Then all you have to do is label generations and you're good to go! (Oh also you should probably find out if it is autosomal or sex-linked, that's pretty important too, but you can find that out by seeing how many males have it opposed to how many females have it. In this pedigree hemophilia is sex-linked). Well, that's all there is to it!
I have a test next class, so wish me luck! (I'll sorely need it)   

No comments:

Post a Comment